St Joseph’s School for the Deaf is seeking a Physical Education Teacher to promote a) physical activity and the attainment of physical fitness; b) physical skills and general coordination c) good safety practices d) creative movement e) group and individual activities f) leadership and responsibility g) reinforce other academic areas where possible h) teach health classes grades 4-8
Hours: M, T, W, F 8:30 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Thursday 8:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Schedule – Follow Professional Calendar
- For 10-month position
- 182 days
- 2 parent/caregiver meetings (evenings)
CLASS RATIO 6:1:1 or 6:1:2
TEACHING AND LEARNING
- Develop unit and lesson plans in curriculum areas according to NYS requirements P.E and Health with consideration for needs and abilities of diverse student learners.
- Follow daily schedules, submit monthly unit plans, and maintain a daily lesson plan book.
- Differentiate instruction to meet the needs of each student
- Use appropriate language and communication methodology required for each student and in accordance with school philosophy and student needs.
- Manage student behavior using current best practices (Seek guidance/assistance for more complex behavior management support)
- B.A. or B.S. in an Education related area (physical education preferred) plus:
- NYS Certification in Physical Education (& Health Education preferred)
- NYS Certification Teacher of the Deaf (preferred)
- Preschool or Early Childhood Education, Special Education (preferred, not required)
- Sign Language Skills, SCPI (or equivalent) proficiency level preferred and as per Personnel Policy
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Department Supervisor, Executive Director
Closing Date: Open until filled. For a position descriptions please visit our website under the contact us tab.
*This position is included in the Jointly Organized Essential staff bargaining unit.
“An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer”