St. Joseph’s School for the Deaf is seeking a Teacher assistant to assist the teacher in the classroom. Hours: 8:15AM – 3:00PM (sign in at 8:10AM); or 8:30AM – 3:00PM (sign in at 8:25AM) with an additional 1 hr. of duty Thursdays to 4:00pm (4 times per year)
- Assist the teacher in the classroom.
- Work with the small groups or individual students as directed by the teacher using specified materials.
- Assist in the physical care of the students and/or classroom as needed by situation and department. (may include feeding, dressing, toileting, ambulation as needed)
- Prepare instructional materials as directed.
- Perform clerical duties necessary for efficient functioning of the class (i.e. obtain supplies and media equipment, correct papers, create classroom materials and use computer/library for research.
- Help to maintain orderly procedure during assigned duties and emergency drills.
- Assist outside the classroom
- Accompany students and assist in all out of class activities.
- Assist on class trips.
- Assist other students or staff as needed.
- Assume supportive duty assignments
- Substitute for classroom teachers school wide as needed (teacher meetings, absences, professional development, etc.) as directed by supervisor and/or their designee.
- Supervise breakfast/lunch/recess programs as required in the department.
- Accompany/assist students as needed. (related services, nurse’s office, etc.)
- Interact and communicate effectively with students throughout the school day.
- Foster an atmosphere conducive to learning.
- Assist teacher by observing student behavior and keeping behavior logs/charts as needed.
- Maintain confidentiality and professionalism at all times.
1.1 New York State Teacher Assistant certification level 1, 2, 3 or continuing certification as a Teaching Assistant required.
- High School Diploma
- Communication Skills – Sign Language Skills required (SCPI, ASLPI or equivalent minimum rating of intermediate required)
- Ability to work with others, report to work on time, perform all functions of the position and maintain professional conduct
- Display flexibility, patience, good judgment and dependability
- Ability to perform job functions with attention to time and attendance.
- Possess mature personality and good interactive skills.
- Respond responsibly in crises situations.
- Display a positive attitude towards children and an understanding of their growth and development.
Classroom Teacher, Department Supervisor
Closing Date: Open until filled. For a position descriptions please visit our website under the ‘Contact Us’ tab.
*This position is included in the Jointly Organized Essential staff bargaining unit.
“An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer”