Organization: WA Center for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Youth
Location: Vancouver, WADeadline to Apply: 12/01/2023
Student Life Counselor – Graveyard
This recruitment will remain open until we fill the position. We reserve the right to make a hiring decision at any time. It is in your best interest to submit materials as soon as possible. Applicant materials are reviewed weekly.
Note: This is a school year based position and is not scheduled to work during annual school closures.
CDHY, which operates the Washington School for the Deaf (WSD) and statewide outreach services, is an educational community and statewide resource committed to ensuring all deaf and hard of hearing students in Washington reach their full potential. Our agency offers a variety of services in academic, residential, and outreach programming.
Our employees are more than just workers. They are part of a community, network, and family. Each staff member serves as a role model to students. We're looking for people that can contribute, grow, think, and dream. We thrive in a culture that embraces diversity and rewards imagination.
Our diverse student body is made up of many faces, backgrounds, and personalities. Our goal is to help students who are deaf and hard of hearing learn, grow, and succeed. WSD is an ASL English bilingual educational environment. We support the attainment of literacy in both languages.
WSD Students are:
Bilingual · Empowered · Successful for Today and Tomorrow = the BEST!
About the position:
CDHY is seeking to fill a graveyard shift Student Life Counselor (SLC) position. The SLC-Graveyard shift position is responsible for student supervision, engagement, and education as it relates to independence, safety and self-advocacy. This position is responsible for student monitoring and engagement during the Residential and After School Programs.
Work schedule: This is a full-time, school year based position and the work schedule is 12:00am-8:00am.
NOTE: This position is eligible for shift premium pay at an additional $1.00 per hour when the regular or temporary scheduled work includes hours after 6:00 pm and before 6:00 am where no overtime schedule change pay, or callback compensation is received.
- Supervise and care for WSD students. Monitor students at all times and in all residential areas as well as the cafeteria, athletic events, off campus during WSD sponsored activities, and outdoors.
- Support the WSD strategic plan and follow the goals set forth by the residential program mission statement.
- Nurture and comfort students to ensure their safety and well-being. Teach and drill students in all areas of emergency procedures.
- Ensure confidentiality of records and information relating to students and employees.
- Develop and implement programming to meet the physical, intellectual, emotional and social development needs of students (i.e., assessments, behavior management, and crisis intervention).
- Ongoing assessment of student behavior and attendance at meetings as needed to recommend programming, discipline, and crisis intervention.
- Maintain ongoing communication with supervisors, parents, coworkers, academic staff, community, and organizations.
- Document and maintain student independent living skills data, communication books, staff reports, and other communications as assigned.
- Transport and supervise students to off-campus events and appointments.
- Pick up students at school as determined by the supervisor.
- Pick up students at the buses on travel day as directed by the supervisor.
- Supervise and/or coordinate after school program activities.
- Read all email, reports, and communication logs daily.
- Supervise and assist students with homework.
- Document student behaviors, incidents and/or information in logbook and/or level system book, complete the Daily Student Information form, and write behavior referrals and pupil information forms as needed.
- Communicate any problems, concerns, or information to supervisors and/or coworkers.
- Ensure the cottage living areas are kept clean, neat, and safe daily.
- Monitor, counsel, and assist students with their daily schedule and routine duties in an effort to facilitate student self-sufficiency and independent living.
- Assist in the implementation of the ILS curriculum under the direction of supervisors.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Required qualifications:
- One school year experience working in an instructional group setting with children.
- Proficiency in American Sign Language.
- Develop innovative ideas that provide solutions to all types of workplace challenges.
- Coordinate and lead small groups, creating a cooperative and productive environment in which to resolve problems or develop and implement plans.
- Logically integrate various ideas, intentions and information to form effective goals, objectives, timelines, action plans and solutions.
- Effectively communicate information for the purpose of having others learn, understand, and apply specific principals, techniques, or information.
- Actively take steps to build cohesive and results-orientated team.
- Preferred qualifications:
- Two years of college (equivalent of 90 quarter credit hours with a major emphasis in interpreter training, education, child development, social sciences, recreation, or related subjects).
CDHY is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This position is in the bargaining unit represented by the Washington Federation of State Employees (WFSE). For membership questions, contact the local Union Representative.
Salary is set using the State of Washington General government pay scales (Range 37).
$37,740.00 – $50,088.00 Annually
The candidate selected for this position will be required to pass federal and state criminal background screening.
Remote/Telework options are not available for this position.
This position is eligible for full benefits (medical, dental, vision, long-term disability, life insurance and retirement).
For questions about this recruitment, or to request reasonable accommodation in the application process, please email: HR@cdhy.wa.gov
See full description of the job and apply by clicking here.