Organization: WI School for the Deaf
Location: 309 W Walworth Ave, Delavan, WIDeadline to Apply: 12/31/2024
The Child Care Counselor supervise students in the dorms and during various on and off campus activities at the WI School for the Deaf residential school. This a full-time school-year position.
- Supervising students in dormitories, dining room, and off-campus trips
- Supervising student housekeeping activities and inspecting dorms and living areas for safety and cleanliness
- Supporting discipline policies of the residential program and assisting in monitoring behavior plans
- Assisting residential supervisors in activities outside the dormitories
- Ensuring that student hygiene, toileting, and safety needs are met
- Participating in appropriate professional development
- Reinforcing and enhancing individual student development
- Managing dormitories by providing a clean, organized, and safe living/learning environment
- Performing a variety of duties providing for the guidance, care, training, development, and socialization of deaf and physically handicapped or developmentally delayed students
- Interacting with parents, teachers, and other agency personnel to ensure program continuity
- Willingness and ability to work in a bilingual/bicultural environment, which includes deaf, hard of hearing, and hearing individuals
- Experience working with children.
A criminal background check will be conducted prior to an offer of hire.
Applicants must be legally entitled to work in the United States (i.e., a citizen or national of the U.S., without DPI sponsorship). The Department of Public Instruction does not sponsor visas, either at time of hire or at any later time.
Shift hours are: Sunday 7 p.m. – 11 p.m.; Monday, Wednesday and Thursday 3:15 p.m. – 12:00 a.m.; and, Tuesday 2:15 p.m. – 12:00 a.m.
Candidate must be fluent in ASL upon hire and receive an ASLPI rating of 2+ by the end of probation.
A valid driver’s license is required upon appointment.
A TB screen will be required prior to start.
This announcement may be used to fill multiple full-time and part-time school year Child Care Counselor vacancies.
Starting salary will be $18.05 per hour (approximately $30035 per year). For current and eligible former State employees, compensation will be set in accordance with the State Compensation Plan effective at time of hire. This position is in pay schedule 06, range 10. A one-year probationary period will be required.
Required weekend hours worked (i.e., work hours on Saturday and Sunday) qualify for an additional eighty cents ($0.80) per hour. Required night hours worked (i.e., work hours between the hours of 6:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m.) qualify for an additional eighty cents ($0.80) per hour.
This position offers excellent benefits. The State of Wisconsin is a qualifying employer for the federal Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program. See full description of the job and apply by clicking here.